|Click here to view map of area.|
"PORTMOAK, a parish, containing the post-office village of Kinnesswood and the village of Scotlandwell, on the east side of Kinross-shire. It lies between Lochleven and Fifeshire; and is bounded by the parishes of Cleish, Kinross, Orwell, Strathmiglo, Falkland, Leslie, Kinglassie, Auchterderran, and Ballingray ... The whole surface is a rich landscape of braes, crags, fine meadows, fertile fields, and thriving plantations, reflecting their beautiful features from the mirror of Loch-Leven ... Population in 1831, 1,554; in 1861, 1,450."
from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Friends of the Kinross Museum have set up a number of web pages including a page for Portmoak. The pages are well worth visiting
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Kinross-shire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1701. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
Other Church References for Portmoak include at the Scottish Record Office;
Last updated 26-Dec-2009