|Click here to view map of area.|
"CLEISH, a parish, containing the post-office station of Blairadam, the post-office village of Cleish, and two other villages in Kinross-shire. It is bounded on the north by Fossoway and Kinross parishes; on th east by the parishes of Portmoak and Ballingray; on the south by the parishes of Beath and Dunfermline; and on the west by the parish of Saline. It is of an oblong form, stretching nearly due west from the low heights on the east which divide Kinross-shire from Fifeshire; and is 6 1/2 miles in length, by about 1 in average breadth; and contains about 7 1/2 square miles ... A short distance from the parish-church stood a rock called 'The Lecture stane,' which was used, in the days of popery, as a support for the coffin during the reading of the burial-service at funerals. At the east end of the parish, a stone, inserted in a bridge, bears an inscription indicating the road beneath it to have been that by which Queen Mary fled from Lochleven castle ... Population in 1831, 681; in 1861, 649."
from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Kinross-shire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1700. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
Other Church References for Cleish include at the Scottish Record Office;
Last updated 26-Dec-2009