|Click here to view map of area.|
"ALVA, a parish, in the ounty of STIRLING, 7 miles (N.E. by E.) from Stirling; containing 2216 inhabitants of whom 2092 are in the village. The name of this place, the orthography of which has successively passed through the different forms of Alueth, and Alvath or Alveth to that of Alva, is of Gaelic origin, and is supposed to be derived from the term Ailbheach, signifying "rocky"; it was probably applied to this spot as descriptive of the general character of the hills. The parish is locally situated in Clackmannanshire, and formerly belonged to that county, by which it is bounded on all sides except the north, where it touches Perthshire"
[Topographical Dictionary of Scotland by Samuel Lewis, published 1846]
Although the Parish of Alva came under the jurisdiction of Stirling County (and you should refer to the GENUKI Stirling pages, the parish became a part of Clackmannanshire in 1891 when changes were made by the Boundary Commission.
For more on Alva see the Edinburgh University Scottish Gazetteer.
For Stobie's map of Clackmannanshire (1873) click here
Last updated 27-Dec-2009