|Click here to view map of area.|
"CLACKMANNAN, a parish, containing the post-office town of Clackmannan, the post-office village of Sauchie or Newtonshaw, and the villages of Kennet, Westfield, and Forest-Mill, in Clackmannanshire. It is bounded on the west by Alloa; on the north by the Devon, which divides it from Tillicoultry and Dollar; on the east by the detached district of Perthshire; and on the south by the upper part of the firth of Forth, here about a mile broad, which divides it from Stirlingshire. Its length southwestward is 6 miles; its breadth at the Forth is 2 1/2 miles; and its greatest breadth is about 4 miles." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
"CLACKMANNAN, a small town on the Black Devon river, at the mouth of which river is the creek of Clackmannan Pow. The town, now dwindling in size and importance, still claims to be considered the county town. At the top of the old cross are carved the arms of the Bruce family, whose chief seat for many generations was Clackmannan." from Clackmannan and Kinross, J.P.Day B.A. B.Sc. 1915.
Clackmannan Cross (photo) pre-1915
Last updated 22-Jul-2010